Protect your computer before you become a statistic. This page will guide you on how to proactively prevent viruses and other malware from getting to your computer.
If You Do Nothing Else: Use Antivirus
Harrisburg University students can follow the instructions at Antivirus Options for Students.
Avoid Computer Viruses
There are many ways to avoid getting a computer virus, such as:
- DO NOT install software from unknown sources. Places we know you can trust are Virginia Tech, Microsoft, and Symantec.
- Scan all downloads and files you receive.
- Don't open any attachments that have extensions such as:
- For the best and most complete protection, do not open ANY attachments. However, at the least, don't open attachments from anyone you don't know.
If you suspect an email has a virus, is malicious, or will try to steal or send your password:
- Do not open any attachments to the email.
- Delete the message from your inbox. Make sure to empty the trash or deleted messages box.
A virus hoax is a report of a fictional virus. These are often sent out as emails requesting that you forward them on to as many people as possible to stop the spread of the fictional virus. These virus hoaxes create lots of unwanted email messages for the people who receive them and may also spread rumors about companies' products and services.
Help stop the spread of virus hoaxes by checking the legitimacy of the email before passing it on.
Install Updates for Windows or Mac OS
- For Windows 7 / 8, follow the instructions at Windows Update
- For Windows 10, see Microsoft's Update Windows 10 page.
- For Mac OS, follow the instructions at How to update the software on your Mac
Uninstall Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Programs
For instructions, search Google.
Backup Your Data
Every possible method of attack has not been discussed. Even if you follow all of these recommendations, it is still possible that your computer could be compromised by a hacker. In a worst case scenario, your files could become corrupted or even erased, or your hard drive could simply fail, causing the loss of all your data. Please mark sure you are saving our work to Microsoft OneDrive which comes installed with Office 365 ProPlus.