Students enrolled at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology are required to have a laptop computer in order to complete course requirements. If you already have a laptop and want to continue using it at Harrisburg University, please be aware of our minimum requirements for network connectivity.
Please note, these are the minimum requirements for the Office365 desktop software. There may be additional degree program software requirements. Check with your advisor or program director for more information before you make any laptop purchasing decisions.
Minimum HU Network Requirements
- Processor: 1.6 GHz or greater (2-core or greater)
- Operating System
- RAM: 4 GB or greater
- Hard Drive: 250 GB or greater, SSD (Solid State Drive) highly recommended
- Wireless: 802.11 N or AC
- Display: 1280×760 Resolution
- Security Software with current definitions
Any class that involves Adobe Connect will require the user’s network maintain a minimum 5 mb upload and download speed to avoid issues.
In addition to hardware requirements, users must have administrative rights or a permission level allowing the installation and configuration of software/system settings. If you are using a work or school laptop without such permissions, please discuss the Security Software requirements mentioned above with your system administrator.
Purchasing Your Laptop
You are free to purchase the laptop of your choice (as long it meets the minimum requirements above).
There are two options to pay for your laptop:
- Self-finance – credit card, debit card, check, 3rd party lease, etc.
- Financial Aid – Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services at FinancialAid@HarrisburgU.edu or 717.901.5101
Warranties, service, and support for your laptop are provided by your computer’s manufacturer. Please keep this in mind as you select a laptop.