Please note, these are the minimum requirements for the Office365 desktop software. There may be additional degree program software requirements. Some program software may be operating system dependent. Check with your advisor or program director for more information before you make any computer purchasing decisions.
Minimum HU Computer Requirements
- Processor: 1.6 GHz or greater (2-core or greater)
- RAM: 4 GB or greater (8 GB recommended)
- Hard Drive: 250 GB or greater, SSD (Solid State Drive) highly recommended
- Integrated webcam or high quality external camera for video communication
- Quality microphone (Headsets are recommended) for audio communication
- Wireless: 802.11 N or AC
- Display: 1280×760 Resolution
- Security Software with current definitions
Any class that involves Adobe Connect will require the user’s network maintain a minimum 5 mb upload and download speed to avoid issues.
In addition to hardware requirements, users must have administrative rights or a permission level allowing the installation and configuration of software/system settings. If you are using a work or school computer without such permissions, please discuss the Security Software requirements mentioned above with your system administrator.
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows 10, Windows 11
- Mac OS X 10.13 and above
While other operating systems may work on the network and connect to university resources, the configuration and support will be the responsibility of the end user.
Purchasing Your Computer
You are free to purchase the computer of your choice (as long it meets the minimum requirements above).
There are two options to pay for your computer:
- Self-finance – credit card, debit card, check, 3rd party lease, etc.
- Financial Aid – Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services at FinancialAid@HarrisburgU.edu or 717.901.5101
Warranties, service, and support for your computer are provided by your computer’s manufacturer. Please keep this in mind as you select a computer.