How can I tell if I have this setup?
- Browse to https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info.
- If your Default Sign-in method is set as the Microsoft Authenticator - notification, you do not need to change anything and can ignore this document.
- If you do not see the Microsoft Authenticator set as the Default Sign-in method, you will need to follow the setup instructions below.
Steps to setup the Microsoft Authenticator Application from a computer
IMPORTANT: If you do not have access to a computer with an active internet connection and are attempting register security methods for the first time, follow the instructions at Non QR Code - MFA Setup : Harrisburg University IT Helpdesk
1. On your computer, browse to https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info.
2. Select Add method in the Security info pane.
3. On the Add a method page, select Authenticator app from the list, and then select Add.
4. Install the Microsoft Authenticator App on your mobile device (download from the App Store or Google Play). The applications will look like below pictures on your phone.
5. After installing the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile, click Next on your computer, on the Start by getting the App page
6. Click Next on the Set up your account page. You will want to stay on this page while you configure the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device.
7. Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device., select to allow notifications (if prompted).
Note: The first time you set up the Microsoft Authenticator app, you might receive a prompt asking whether to allow the app to access your camera (iOS) or to allow the app to take pictures and record video (Android). You must select Allow so the authenticator app can access your camera to take a picture of the QR code in the next step.
8. Return to the Set up your account page on your computer, and then select Next. The Scan the QR code page appears.
9. Scan the provided code with the Microsoft Authenticator app QR code reader, which appeared on your mobile device after you created your work or school account in Step 6.
10. Select Next on the Scan the QR code page on your computer. A notification is sent to the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device, to test your account.
11. Approve the notification in the Microsoft Authenticator app, and then select Next. Your security info is updated to use the Microsoft Authenticator app by default to verify your identity when using two-step verification or password reset.
More information can be found at Set up an authenticator app as a two-step verification method (microsoft.com).